Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Janeite Tag


Hannah over at Miss Daydreamer's Place recently tagged me in The Janeite Tag.  The rules are as follows:
  1. Thank and link back to the person who invited you.
  2. Tell us about how you were introduced to Jane Austen, and share one fun fact about your Janeite life.
  3. Answer the tagger's questions.
  4. Write seven questions of your own.
  5. Tag anywhere from 1 to 7 other Janeites to participate.
How were you introduced to Jane Austen?

Funny enough, the same way I was introduced to many works of classic literature.  When I was growing up, PBS had a children's show entitled Wishbone.  It was about a dog who loved to read, and the adventure his human friends were having always coincided with the plot of a work of classic literature.  One of these was entitled Furst Impressions and that introduced me to the story of Pride and Prejudice.  As an adult, I was re-introduced through the 2005 film version of Pride and Prejudice, which remains one of my favorites.

One fun fact about my Janeite life.

I saw Austen's The History of England on display at the British Library...eclipsed only by the handwritten manuscript of Jane Eyre right next to it! 

What is your favorite Jane Austen novel?

If you had asked me this when I was younger, I would probably have said Pride and Prejudice.  But as I have gotten older, I have really come to love Persuasion.  It is such a wonderful story of people overcoming time and hurt to find love with each other.  I have also come to identify with Anne Elliot in a variety of ways.

Who is your favorite Austen hero an heroine?

Favorite hero is Fitzwilliam Darcy.  Favorite heroine is Anne Elliot.

Who is your favorite secondary character?

Probably Mr. Bennet.  Let's face it, he gets most of the best lines.

Provide up to five of your favorite Austen quotes.

“My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company." - Persuasion

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”  - Northanger Abbey

“The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!” - Sense and Sensibility

“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense.” - Pride and Prejudice

Capt. Wentworth's letter...all of it - Persuasion

What is your favorite adaptation of each of the Austen novels?

Pride and Prejudice - 1995 Andrew Davies (Firth, Ehle)
Sense and Sensibility - 1995 Ang Lee (Thompson, Winslet, Rickman, Grant)
Northanger Abbey - 2007 Andrew Davies (Jones, Feild)
Persuasion - 1995 Roger Michell (Root, Hinds)
Emma - 1996 Andrew Davies (Beckinsale, Strong)
Mansfield Park (this one is hard because none of them are particularly good) - 1999 Patricia Rozema (O'Connor, Miller)

Are there any books you would recommend to a Janeite?

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery

New Questions:
  1. If you could invite any Austen heroine to tea, who would it be and why?
  2. Would you prefer a quiet dinner party with a few friends or a large community ball?
  3. Which of the Austen "villains" do you feel to be the least "bad"?  Why?
  4. What is your favorite adaptation of a Jane Austen novel with a modern setting?
  5. Which Austen town/city would you like to live in (i.e. Merryton, Highbury, Bath, etc.)?
  6. What is your favorite Jane Austen novel?
  7. What is your LEAST favorite Austen novel?
I tag:

hopeinbrazil at Worthwhile Books

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I loved reading your answers! :)

I watched Wishbone too :) I haven't seen their Pride and Prejudice episode but did you know that they also did Northanger Abbey? It's called 'Pup Fiction' and Amy Acker is in it! She's been in Angel, Once Upon a Time, Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing & Person of Interest.

That IS a fun fact!

I've heard a lot of people say that about Persuasion. That it's a book that you appreciate more and more as you get older. At the moment Persuasion is probably my 4th favourite JA novel. It will be interesting to see if it climbs up my personal rankings over time!

To answer your questions (because I feel like it):

- Elizabeth Bennet
- Quiet dinner party
- Erm.. probably Frank Churchill.
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! Definitely! There's a new S&S vlog btw :) It's called 'Elinor and Marianne Take Barton'. Although it's not as great as the LBD I'm liking it far more than the early episodes of EA! You should check it out. I really like the actress who's playing Marianne.
- Probably Bath but I really want to visit Brighton. It's the San Francisco of the UK :)
- Pride and Prejudice
- Mansfield Park