Thursday, April 3, 2014

Weekly Geek Revisited: Literary Soundtracks 2.0

I first began participating in the "Weekly Geeks" meme back in 2009 and continued on until its end in 2011.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, "Weekly Geeks" was a weekly meme for book bloggers to discuss various aspects of reading.  Topics were given, and we would each write a post pertaining to it.  I've decided to re-visit some of my favorite posts and update my thoughts and responses.

In August of 2009, I was honored to have one of my ideas chosen as the weekly meme.  I challenged other weekly geeks to list songs that reminded them of certain books or literary characters.  I also used this challenge as my farewell post to Weekly Geeks.  I've decided to try this again, but with a twist.  Instead of posting songs that remind me of certain books, I'm going to post some that are actually based on books.  I've scoured the internet and found songs based on some of personal favorite reads (and some yet to be read).


Rebecca by Meg & Dia

Sister band Meg & Dia wrote this song based on Daphne Du Maurier novel Rebecca.  It is a slow moving song on piano and focuses mainly on the first few chapters of the book.


A Good Man is Hard to Find by Sufjan Stevens

This song by singer/songwriter Sufjan Stevens retells Flannery O'Connor's short story of the same name.


Havens Grey by Andrew Peterson

This song by Christian singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson is about the Grey Havens found in The Lord of the Rings.  This album The Far Country is a personal favorite of mine.


My Antonia by Emmylou Harris and Dave Matthews

Well know singers Emmylou Harris and Dave Matthews team up for a song about Willa Cather's classic novel, My Antonia.

How about you?  Do you have any favorite songs that are based on books?  Or are there any songs that remind you of your favorite reads?  Recommend them in the comments!

No comments: