Friday, January 10, 2014

Back to the Classics 2014

Though I've watched many other book bloggers take part in various reading challenges, I've never stepped up to the plate and participated in one myself.  But this year, I decided I'd try something new.  I found a couple of challenges that would not only line up with my own plans for the year, but would also help my knock quite a few items off my "to read" list.  The first is the Back to the Classics Challenge hosted by Books and Chocolate.  Since I read so many classics, I figured that I should be able to read the 6 required categories and at least a few of the optional.  Here's what I have decided on:

Required

  • 20th Century Classic - Joy in the Morning by P. G. Wodehouse (1946)
  • 19th Century Classic - Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (1891)
  • A Classic by a Woman Author - Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (1848)
  • A Classic in Translation - Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin (Russian 1837)
  • A Classic About War -Night by Elie Wiesel (1960)
  • A Classic by an Author Who is New to Me - The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (1910)
Optional

  • American Classic - Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)
  • A Classic Mystery, Suspense, or Thriller - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (1939)
  •  Historical Fiction Classic - Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott (Set in 1715, published in 1817)
  • A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series - The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (1922)
  • Movie Review of Film Based on Book in Category #4 - Enchanted April (1992)

If you are interested in joining this challenge, be sure to sign up by March 1.  Let us know what challenges you will be participating in this year!   

2 comments:

Karen K. said...

You have so many great choices -- Wodehouse is hilarious, and I loved Enchanted April. Thanks for signing up!

Hannah said...

Ooh I love 'Tess of the D'Ubervilles', 'And Then There Were None' and 'The Phantom of the Opera' - especially 'Phantom of the Opera'. I hope you'll love them as much as I do :)