Wednesday, April 30, 2008

There's Just Something About...


I was reading an article the other day from Kritik Magazine entitled "Beating Darcy Down." Basically, the article discusses the seeming obsession that many women have with Austen's works and Mr. Darcy in particular. I'm not here to discuss the article itself (much as I would like to), or even Austen in particular, but that article got me to thinking; what is it about certain literary characters that makes us love them? Is it because of the things they do or say? Is it because we see them through the eyes of other characters? Is it because we identify with them in their struggles? Or is it simply the character of the character? I think that it is a combination of things that make certain characters stand out in our minds.

We've all got our favorite heroes, villains and secondary characters. I have so many that I won't even begin to list them. So my question to you is, who are some of your favorites and why do you like them? Are there any that you despise? Why? Are there any cases where you like the book overall, yet none of the characters seem to stand out? Let me know, I'm extremely curious! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot think off the top of my head any book that I have that I liked the plot AND did not like the characters. I really think the two go hand in hand. Especially in works like 'Jane Eyre' and 'Pride and Prejudice', where you can easily see through the eyes of the character. I am not very fond of Mr. Rochester,(Jane Eyre) but as I see him through Jane I really do like him. Then there is Elizabeth and Darcy who make such a great couple and get along together very well. Ultimately, it is the sign of a good author who can make YOU the character in the story, and make you feel the same things as that character.